Pages

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The sprint and home stretch

This past week was an uphill struggle. On sand and loose gravel. With a slope so steep, switchbacks were necessary. But last night, albeit a few hours behind schedule, I hit the word count goal for Day 19 and pushed on to write another 1000 words.

I'm 2/3 of the way through the challenge. After tomorrow, that will increase to 3/4 done, in regards to both the time and to the word count.

I'm 1/3 of the way through the novel's story. I just introduced a crucial character to the story. As I hit 35,000 words, I may just have to put in placeholders for middle developing scenes (which are the hardest to finesse) and write out the ending to the story as my latest Nano "pep talk" e-mail advises.

I fully expect this to be the most horrible piece of writing I produced and will be revising it throughout the year - adding scenes, moving scenes, deleting scenes and deepening the development. I'm OK with that. I've (mostly) accepted that December will be my time for revision.

Will I try to keep working on 1667 words a night? Most likely not. It's a grueling pace to do while working full time. However, 800 - 1000 words a night for new material seem to be both attainable and sustainable (especially . I also have a 2-week break from work coming up that I can totally utilize to really finish by plugging up the most obvious of the plot holes and flesh out the transitions between scenes where currently placeholders are.

I'm so close I can almost taste it.

No comments:

Post a Comment